Sunday, May 5, 2019
San Juan Island Yacht Club Opening Day Parade
A Community Afloat
Cinco de Mayo Style
Please join us for SJIYC’s annual Opening Day Boat Parade on Sunday, May 6, starting at 2:15 PM. Entrants will gather near Shipyard Cove and parade their vessels in front of Spring Street Landing and past the Dignitary Boat and the Judges’ Review Boat to compete for prizes in one of five categories: Theme, Traditional/Nautical, Classic Wooden Boat, Human Powered and Commercial. There is no charge for registration and participation in the parade.
Boats are judged on the following criteria:
Boat Handling—Maintains smooth, constant, approximate 3-4 knot speed and approximate 100-foot spacing behind boat ahead.
- Theme Boats are judged on their creative interpretation of “A Community Afloat, Cinco de Mayo Style.”
- Traditional/Nautical Boats are judged on their proper display of traditional signal flags.
- Classic Wooden Boats are judged on their distinctive or restored condition.
- Commercial Boats are judged on display of their “gear.”
- Human Powered Craft are judged on their presentation and craft handling.
Crew—Crew will be judged on their costumes, uniforms, attire, theme-related antics, and precision of salutes.
Let’s see what fun boaters will conjure up this year!
The Parade Awards Ceremony will be held at the San Juan Island Yacht Club at 4:30 PM. Boat parade participants, skippers and crews, are invited to stay for our Open House Pig Roast and Taco Dinner ($15/person) after the awards ceremony, beginning at 5:30 PM